Thursday, November 24, 2011

London Bridge is not falling down


So we went to London for 2 days...and as you might suspect, had a great time.  We went to see The Cure play at Royal Albert Hall but spent 2 full days exploring too -  and barely made a dent.  We walked all over the center of London and hit most of the major sites (look kids, big ben!)  We also enjoyed good food (I know, I know, not exactly what England is known for - but spend 6 months in Portugal and you'll understand our appreciation) and not having to rehearse every conversation before it happens (ENGLISH, I LOVE YOU).

We pretty much ran through the British Museum and headed straight to the Rosetta Stone.  The most interesting thing I learned is that names in hieroglyphics are phonetic.

We also explored the Tower of London - again very quickly - we had about an hour from when we entered here - and by the time we left it was already dark.   I'd like to go back and take an official tour - I think it's a pretty interesting place.

Trafalgar square with the National Museum in the back - we stopped by there too and checked out all the JMW Turners (Matt's favorite), Monets and Van Goghs amongst others.   I was surprised by how much I really liked the Van Goghs.  He's one of the artists whose work I'm most familiar with but was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful and vibrant the colors and impasto are in the originals - the prints and textbooks just can't compare. 



Ok - I think I'll go back to monitoring budget airlines for cheap flights to London now...

No comments:

Post a Comment